Academic Program Information

Academic Appeal Procedure

Level 1 - Student contacts the teacher to resolve the problem.
Level 2 - Situation is referred to the department supervisor.
Level 3 - Situation is referred to the principal.
Level 4 - Situation is referred to the superintendent.

Academic Conduct and Intellectual Integrity

Hunterdon Central Regional High School values intellectual integrity and the highest standards of academic conduct. Hunterdon Central students are responsible for following proper scholarly procedure. Academic dishonesty, including plagiarism and cheating, will not be tolerated at Hunterdon Central. They are offenses that violate each of the six pillars of character: caring, citizenship, trustworthiness, responsibility, respect, and fairness. In the case of academic dishonesty, a grade of zero will be awarded for the assessment/assignment, a report of misconduct will be filed, and the student’s name will be entered in an academic misconduct file.

The following are some examples of academic dishonesty:

  • taking someone else’s work and submitting it as one’s own work;
  • giving or receiving answers by use of signals during a test/exam;
  • copying with or without the other person’s knowledge during a test/exam;
  • doing any part of a class assignment for someone else;
  • using unauthorized notes during a test/exam;
  • copying other students on assignments that were to be done independently;
  • taking parts of or the entire work for class assignments from another student(s) and submitting it as one’s own work;
  • fabricating data;
  • altering answers on a scored test and submitting for a grade change;
  • submitting essays/compositions that one has submitted in a previous class without the permission of the teacher;
  • use or consultation of unauthorized materials or use of unauthorized equipment or devices on tests, quizzes, assignments, or examinations.

Plagiarism is a distinct kind of academic dishonesty: a person plagiarizes when he/she steals another person’s ideas or words and falsely presents them as the plagiarist’s own product. This is most likely to occur in the following ways:

  • using the exact language of someone else without the use of quotation marks and without giving proper credit to the author;
  • presenting a sequence of ideas or arranging the material of someone else, even though such is expressed in one’s own words, i.e., paraphrasing, without giving appropriate acknowledgement;
  • submitting a document written by someone else but representing it as one’s own;
  • padding items of a bibliography or falsifying information in a works cited page;
  • submitting data which have been altered or contrived in such a way as to be deliberately misleading.

"How is Plagiarism Defined at North Carolina State University?" Scholarly Communication Center of NCSU Libraries. 2004. 4 April 2005., Akers, Stephen. "Academic Integrity: A Guide for Students." Purdue University, 2003, and the "Honor Code of The College of William and Mary".

Alternate Credit Attainment Pathways

Hunterdon Central Regional High School provides an opportunity for students to pursue coursework outside of the parameters of the normal HCRHS curriculum. All students planning pursuit of alternate credit must meet with their Counselor and the area Supervisor to discuss goals before submitting the completed application. Following this, the completed application, bearing the required signatures, must be submitted prior to the following deadlines: May 30th for summer course work; June 30th for Quarter 1 course work; September 30th for Quarter 2 course work; November 30th for Quarter 3 course work and February 28th for Quarter 4 course work. Upon completion, the approved course(s), taken outside of HCRHS for credit will have a Pass/Fail grade recorded on their HCRHS transcript resulting in no adjustment to their GPA. The course name, institution and appropriate credits will be recorded on the HCRHS transcript for those students approved for alternative course work. See the following section entitled “Recording of Non-Traditional Coursework on the HCRHS Permanent Record (Transcript)” for specifics. The expectation is that the courses will be completed during the time specified on the approval form. The transcript will denote course work as per the protocol described in the HCRHS Program of Studies under “Course Withdrawals” and “Recording of Non-Traditional Coursework on the HCRHS Permanent Record”. This includes course work which is not completed. Students who have taken course work outside of HCRHS and have obtained credit to be listed on the HCRHS transcript, may not take the HCRHS equivalent course for credit. High school level courses taken prior to grade 9 may be used to meet prerequisites or advancement in a particular subject area. However, because graduation credit requirements may only be met by courses taken in grades 9-12, high school level courses taken prior to grade 9 are not included in GPA or credits earned, nor are these listed on the high school transcript. Grade 9 begins upon graduation from grade 8.

Alternative Education Program - Twilight Program

The HCRHS Twilight School provides an individualized program plan in an environment directed toward success, for students who find the traditional education program at Hunterdon Central incompatible with their individual and educational needs. It’s objectives are designed to adhere to the recommendation and intent of N.J.A.C 6A: 16-8.1 providing for goals of an alternative program. The following goals have been identified for the Hunterdon Central Regional High School District Twilight Program:

  • To provide students with an alternative, positive school environment that supports their success and ultimately leads to high school graduation in a non-traditional setting.
  • To provide special support and assistance to help identified students develop more healthy patterns of behavior and a transition plan for post-secondary goals.
  • To increase student adherence to fundamental codes of conduct and increase the effectiveness of disciplinary policies and procedures.
  • To provide a program that supports student behavioral changes, increases social skills and prepares students to meet the expectations in the work place.
  • To provide students with an individualized program that exposes them to the Core Curriculum Content Standards, work place skills and expectations and a service learning component.
  • To support the Board of Education and district to educate as many students as possible in their home school in an effort to prevent placements out of the district.

The Twilight Program is designed for those students who are experiencing difficulty in making adequate progress toward graduation and/or experiencing social and/or emotional issues that result in concerns that have not been re-mediated with traditional intervention techniques, strategies and programs.

Students interested in the Twilight Program should contact their school counselor, case manager, vice principal or may contact the program Coordinator directly. If you would like to learn more about Hunterdon Central's Twilight Program, or if you are wondering if this option may be an answer for your educational needs, we welcome your calls and questions. The Program Coordinator would be happy to meet with students and parents to discuss the program, your needs and the process involved in choosing the Twilight Program as your path to a successful future.

Athletic & Co-Curricular Eligibility

The Board of Education recognizes that the primary responsibility of the school system is to educate all students to the maximum levels possible. Although the academic program has first priority, student activities are an important part of the total learning experience. The Board of Education, therefore, has an obligation to provide an opportunity for students to participate in a full range of activities, while ensuring that the student's academic progress is sufficient to support this participation.

We reserve the right to remove students from athletic participation for conduct unbecoming of a HC student as defined by the HC Code of Conduct. Any student found to be involved in hazing activities will be immediately and permanently removed from the team.

Any student who wishes to compete in interscholastic sports must meet the minimum credit requirements established by the New Jersey Interscholastic Athletic Association (NJSIAA) and the HCRHS Board of Education. Eligibility for activities will be determined on a semester-by-semester basis. All incoming freshmen are automatically eligible to participate in athletics. Currently enrolled students at HCRHS must have accumulated 30 credits at the end of the previous school year to be eligible for a fall or winter sport, and 15 credits at the end of the first semester to be eligible for a spring sport. All freshmen are required to take 37.5 credits and upperclassmen are required to take 30 credits. Counselors encourage any student who wants to participate in athletics to schedule 40 credits. Students should check with counselors if they have any questions about eligibility.

Class Rank

Hunterdon Central offers its students a rigorous, comprehensive curriculum in a challenging academic environment. The majority of our students respond by earning exceptional grades. We believe that the achievements and abilities of our students can not be represented by a single statistic, but rather by a combination of courses selected, grades earned, and scores achieved on SAT, ACT, and AP tests. Therefore, it is the policy of Hunterdon Central not to report class rank on transcripts or report cards.

College/Career Center

The College/Career Center contains a variety of resources to assist students with post-high school planning. Computer programs and printed materials provide information on colleges, trade and technical schools, and the military. Information on occupations, financial aid and scholarships is also available. Passwords are available for many Internet-based programs leased yearly for all HCRHS students and parents.

Career, personality, and vocational assessments are available for administration as part of the career development program. The College and Career Center counselor works with students and parents in group sessions. The focus of the group work is helping students and parents learn the skills they need to do research on colleges and/or careers.

All HCRHS students have access to Naviance, a college search tool. Students will be introduced to the system through group sessions beginning in grade 9. Students in grade 12 will use the system to submit and track college applications and to complete their senior survey. After July 1 of each year, statistics for the graduating class will be released in the Naviance program for juniors and others to view the admission decisions of former classes in the form of scattergrams. To access this program online, go to and enter as a "guest" or with your own account information. (Free email accounts are available on, and

The College & Career Center is open Monday – Friday from 7:30 am to 3:00 p.m. For further information, call 284-7146.

Controversial Issues

Free discussion of controversial issues –– political, economic, social––shall be encouraged in the classroom whenever appropriate for the level of the group.

Issues may be considered controversial which arouse strong reactions, based either on personal conviction or allegiance to a group. School treatment of controversial issues shall be designed to instruct pupils in fair and objective study techniques. The decision on whether a particular controversial issue shall become a matter for school study shall be based on the timeliness of the question, the maturity and needs of the pupils and the purposes of the school. Classroom discussions on controversial questions that arise unexpectedly shall be the responsibility of the teacher, who shall provide relevant information on both sides of the question. Such discussions shall be kept free from the assumption that there is one correct answer which should emerge from a discussion and be taught authoritatively to the pupils.

Pupils shall be taught to recognize each other's right to form an opinion on controversial issues, and shall be assured of their own right to do so without jeopardizing their relationship with the teacher or the school.

Counselor Meeting Requests

Students may make an appointment with their counselors by completing an appointment request form available in all counseling services areas. Students are encouraged to contact their counselor to discuss academic progress, post high school planning, personal/social issues, or any other problems or concerns they may have.

Counseling Services

HCRHS Counseling Services supports the academic component of the high school through a series of both planned and informal activities designed to assist students to understand themselves better, to cope with the normal problems associated with growing up; and to become contributing citizens. The goal of the Counseling Services process is to meet the individual needs of each student and to help students achieve a productive high school experience. Counseling Services are designed to help students with their educational, vocational, and social development. 

Course/class Level Changes

Level changes should be made in consultation with counselor, teacher and parents/guardians. Level changes from a standard level course to a higher level of the same course should be made only after counseling with the department supervisor.

Changes to a higher level must be made within 15 days from the beginning of the course. The deadline for level changes down is 30 school days after the start of the course. There must be an open seat in the requested course in order for the change to be initiated. Maintaining acceptable class size will be a priority.

In addition, the student is responsible for missed work. Grades follow the student when he/she makes a level change, with due consideration given to the weight of that grade.

Drop/Add a Course (Dropping a course and adding another course)

Please note that only requests to correct scheduling problems caused by errors in course assignments or the above mentioned level changes will be honored. We are unable to accommodate requests for schedule changes related to teacher, period or convenience/preferential changes. If academically driven changes are required, a Drop/Add form must be completed (e.g., level misplacement, lack of success in the prerequisite course, etc.). The Drop/Add form must be signed by the teachers involved in the change and a parent/guardian. Impact on the entirety of the schedule will be taken into consideration when the aforementioned requests for change are made.  Additionally, there must be an open seat in the requested course in order for the drop/add to be initiated.

 Seniors requesting to drop core academic subjects will be required to contact the colleges to which they have applied to verify that dropping the course will not have an impact on admissions. If not, the student will be placed in study hall. Not all requests will be honored.

Students must request a drop/add within the following timeframe:

7.5 - Credit Courses: 5 school days from the beginning of the school year.
5 - Credit Courses: 5 school days from the beginning of each semester.
2.5 - Credit Courses: 3 school days from the beginning of each quarter.

If you drop a 7.5 or 2.5 credit course, you cannot add a 2.5 credit course that is currently in progress.

Course Withdrawals

Students may not withdraw from a course after the time line identified below.

7.5 - Credit Courses: within 20 school days from the beginning of the course.
5 - Credit Courses: within 10 school days from the beginning of course.
2.5 - Credit Courses: within 5 school days from the beginning of the course.

Seniors requesting to drop core academic subjects will be required to contact the colleges to which they have applied to verify that dropping the course will not have an impact on admissions.

Effect of Withdrawal on Permanent Record:

  1. A student who elects to drop a course within the 3-day or 5-day "Course Change" timeline outlined in the Drop/Add a course section above is to be removed from the class roster. No record of this withdrawal shall appear on the student’s permanent transcript.
  2. A student who elects to withdraw from a course at anytime after the 3-day or 5-day "Course Change" period, and within the 20/10/5 "Course Withdrawal" time period outlined above, will be removed from the class roster, however a record of WP or WF will be recorded and maintained on the student's permanent transcript.

Following the 20/10/5 day period, students must remain in the course until its conclusion. Proof of extenuating circumstances must be provided for any late requests to be considered.

Early Out/Late Arrival

Seniors who have an originally scheduled block 1 or block 4 study hall would be permitted to request approval to sign in at the end of block 1 or sign out at the end of block 3. Classes will not be adjusted or changed to accommodate students’ preference for this option.

To be eligible for "Early Out/Late Arrival", l2th grade students:

  1. must make an appointment with their school counselor and secure appropriate approval paperwork
  2. must have earned a minimum of 100 credits by the end of the 11th grade
  3. must be enrolled in courses approved by their counselor that ensure eligibility for graduation
  4. must be scheduled for at least 30 credits
  5. will not receive more than one early dismissal block
  6. will not be permitted a "late sign-in" option
  7. will be subject to guidelines pertaining to student-athlete eligibility for the sports seasons
  8. will be responsible for their own transportation to and from school
  9. will not be guaranteed student parking privileges
  10. must obtain written permission from parent/guardian
  11. must submit a rationale for Early Out/Late Arrival to school principal
  12. must sign in at the senior house office if they wish to remain in school during their early dismissal periods.

Family Life Education

A family life education curriculum which will be in compliance with New Jersey administrative code and developed under the supervision of the superintendent with the active participation of teachers, administrators, pupils, parents/ guardians, physicians, members of the clergy and representative members of the community shall be available to all parents/guardians.

Any pupil whose parent/guardian presents to the principal a signed statement that any part of the instruction in health, family life education or sex education is in conflict with their conscience, or moral or religious beliefs, shall be excused from that portion of the course where such instruction is being given, and no penalties as to credit or graduation shall result there from. The Board of Education alone, upon recommendation of the superintendent, shall determine the content, sequence and materials of family life education.

Grade Equivalents and Grade Point Average

Beginning in September, 2010, all grades earned by current students are calculated according to the new scale. Please note that the new grade scale is not retroactive; historical grades will not be recalculated. Student records for all academic years prior to September, 2010 will reflect the numeric grading system that was in place when the grades were earned.

The new grading scale is a modified 10-point scale, which includes "plus" and "minus" designations for each letter grade. Final grades in all courses will appear as letter grades A+ through F. The GPA for Honors courses will be awarded an additional weighting of .5; the GPA for Advanced Placement courses will be awarded an additional weighting of 1.0. Cumulative GPA and WGPA for final course grades are tabulated and posted on student report cards and the permanent transcript record at the conclusion of each quarter. Please keep in mind that the majority of colleges recalculate GPA on a pure 4.0 scale. In the recalculation process colleges use the grading scale provided by the high school.

Grade Numeric Equivalent GPA WGPA-HNS WGPA-AP
A+ (97-100) 4.0 4.5 5.0
A (93-96) 4.0 4.5 5.0
A- (90-92) 3.7 4.2 4.7
B+ (87-89) 3.3 3.8 4.3
B (83-86) 3.0 3.5 4.0
B- (80-82) 2.7 3.2 3.7
C+ (77-79) 2.3 2.8 3.3
C (73-76) 2.0 2.5 3.0
C- (70-72) 1.7 2.2 2.7
D+ (67-69) 1.3 1.8 2.3
D (65-66) 1.0 1.5 2.0
F (below 65) 0.0 0.0 0.0

WP - Withdrawal - Passing
WF - Withdrawal – Failing
I - Incomplete
M - Medical Excuse

GPA Calculation:

Cumulative GPA's will be calculated using the same methodology under both the old and new grading scales, so that they are compatible, congruent and fair. The cumulative WGPA and GPA will still be on the student’s transcript. Over the next 4 years GPA’s will include cumulative grades from both the current scale and the new 10 point scale. Students in the Class of 2011 will have 75% of their GPA calculated using the current scale. The calculation for each succeeding class will be decreased by 25%. The school profile attached to each college application will include an explanation of these changes. GPA's are calculated using the following methodology:

1.) The credit value of a course is multiplied by the grade point value of the grade received in the course.

For example: A student's grades in year 2009-2010 (old scale) would be calculated:

  • Grade of 93 (is 3.75) x 5 credits for course 1 = 18.75 "quality" points
  • Grade of 84 (is a 2.75) x 2.5 credits for course 2 = 6.875 "quality" points

A student's grades in year 2010-2011 (new scale) would be calculated:

  • Grade of A (is a 4.0 in the new system) x 5 credits for course 1 = 20 "quality" points
  • Grade of C+ (is a 2.3 in the new system) x 2.5 credits for course 2 = 5.75 "quality" points

2.) The cumulative GPA is then calculated as follows:

  • Sum of all quality points _______ = G.P.A.
  • Sum of credits for all courses graded
  • The sum of all quality points, regardless of the grading scale, are added together and divided by total credits attempted.

In this example it would be:

  • 18.75 + 6.875 + 20 + 5.75 = 51.375
  • 51.375 divide by 15 credits = 3.425 GPA (combined GPA - current and new systems).

The same method is used for calculating WGPA and GPA. For Honors courses, a weighting of .5 would be added to the GPA for that course; for Advanced Placement courses, a weighting of 1.0 would be added to the GPA for that course.

Only Hunterdon Central courses, transfer courses and those taken at Hunterdon County Polytech will be used in determining grade point average. Summer school, Alternate Credit Attainment Pathways and Independent Study courses receive Pass/Fail grades and are not included in the GPA. Students must have earned thirty (30) credits at Hunterdon Central to be eligible for ranking. To qualify as valedictorian or salutatorian of the class, students must have attended Hunterdon Central for their junior and senior years and have completed a minimum of 60 credits. Foreign exchange students enrolled in a non-diploma program will receive a certificate stating they attended Hunterdon Central and may participate in the graduation ceremony.


Requests for graduation in less than four years will be considered on an individual basis. Students who graduate early are NOT permitted to participate in activities or athletics after the close of the semester or quarter in which they graduate. Procedures are outlined in the School Board’s policy on accelerated graduation. It is important that students considering this option consult with their counselor, so all course and credit requirements can be met.

Students who want to graduate at the end of the first semester should make their intentions known by September 30 of the current school year. Students who want to graduate at the end of the third quarter should make their intentions known by the end of quarter 1.

Parents should check with their insurance providers to see how early graduation might affect health and auto insurance.

Graduation Requirements

In order for a student to graduate and receive a high school diploma from HCRHS, each student must:

A. Pass the High School Proficiency Assessment (HSPA), And

B. Fulfill the requirements as described utilizing one or both of the following TWO options:

(1) Earn a minimum of 120 credits by successful completion of the prescribed courses listed on the following chart. This requirement may be met in whole or in part through a traditional program where a "credit" means the award for student participation in the equivalent of a class period of instruction (commonly referred to as "Option 1").

"Credit" means the award for the equivalent of a class period of instruction which meets for a minimum of forty minutes, one time a week, during the school year (N.J.A.C. 6A:8-1.3). Therefore, in the traditional HCRHS 81 minute "Block", a class that meets routinely for one class period, for one semester, shall yield 5 credits. Courses meeting for extended periods, a portion of a year, or a portion of a week shall be prorated accordingly.

Graduation Requirements Chart

Subjects Requirements
English At least 20 credits of language arts literacy: Eng. 1, Eng 2, 2.5 credits Expository Writing, 5.0 credits Literature and/or Humanities and 2.5 Eng. Elective credit.
Science At least 15 credits including lab biology; a choice among chemistry, physics or environmental science (beginning with the class of 2014); and a third inquiry-based lab or technical science (beginning with the class of 2016).
Mathematics At least 15 credits including algebra 1; geometry (beginning with the class of 2014); and a third year of math that builds upon these two courses (beginning with the class of 2016).
Social Studies **
United States History
World History

At least 10 credits
At least 5 credits
Health/Physical Education*** 5 credits for each year of enrollment. (Must include Health component).
Visual, Performing Arts At least 5 credits (#700 courses)
21St Century Life and Careers or Career Technical Education At least 5 credits (#600, #800 and #9000courses)
Financial Literacy***** 2.5 Credits of economics and financial literacy, (beginning with the class of 2014) Available courses are PF#620 Personal Finance, FCS#877 Real World 2, SOC#142 Hon. Economics and SOC#143 AP Micro/Macro Economics.
World Languages **** At least 10 credits of the same language or student demonstration of proficiency
Electives At least 12.5 credits
Total Minimum Credits Required 120

*Within the Language Arts Literacy requirement, students shall have completed the Expository Writing course and two literature courses as outlined in the Hunterdon Central Regional High School Program of Studies. Any student may appeal to the building principal for exemption from these course specific language arts requirements. Students whose appeal is approved will be held to the broader language of the NJDOE "20 credits of language arts literacy" requirement.
**The Social Studies course requirements shall be aligned with the Core Content Standards and include statutory mandates expressed in N.J.A.C. 6A:8-5 and N.J.S.A. 18A:35-1 and 2; civics in N.J.S.A. 18A:35-3; and the Holocaust and genocides in N.J.S.A. 18A:35-28. Five credits must address World History.
*** Comprehensive Health, Physical Education and Safety. Students with an authorized excuse may be excused from the physical activity part of the regular program and will be assigned an alternative activity. This core curriculum content area is required for every year of student attendance in grades 9-12. A minimum of 3 3/4 (150 minutes per week) or a maximum of 5 credits will be awarded for each year of successful participation.
**** All students will be encouraged to fulfill the two year World Language requirement. Any student can meet the world language requirement through "student demonstration of proficiency". "Student demonstration of proficiency" is to be determined by the world languages supervisor. Districts may do language proficiency testing, interviews and/or other assessments for documentation. Any student may appeal to the building principal for exemption from the two year requirement. Students whose appeal is approved will be held to the NJDOE one year world language requirement. Individual students with disabilities who have irresolvable scheduling conflicts would need to fulfill the one year world language requirement. LEP students who demonstrate proficiency in their native language, or another language, would be exempt. LEP students who take an additional English or English as a Second Language (ESL) class may use that second English class to fulfill the requirement. The Board of Education, through the IEP process and pursuant to N.J.A.C. 6A:14-4.12, may, for individual students with disabilities as defined in N.J.A.C. 6A:14-1.3, specify alternate requirements for a State-endorsed diploma. Students with disabilities as defined in N.J.A.C. 6A:14-1.3 or eligible under Section 504 may demonstrate that they have attained State minimum levels of proficiency through the SRA process if specified in the student’s Individualized Education Program (IEP) or Section 504 accommodation.
***** This requirement may be met through the "Personal Finance" course in the Business & Computer Education Department. It has yet to be determined if this requirement may be met via course work in other departments which address the specified instructional objectives aimed at meeting or exceeding the financial literacy Core Curriculum Content Standards. Your grade level counselor will assist you with scheduling this requirement.


  • (2) The 120-credit requirement set forth above may be met in whole or in part through program completion of a range of experiences that enable students to pursue a variety of personalized learning opportunities (commonly referred to as "Option 2").
  • Under "Option 2", the Board of Education shall establish a process to approve individualized student learning opportunities that utilize performance or competency assessment to approve student completion of programs aimed at meeting or exceeding the Core Curriculum Content Standards at the secondary level, including those occurring all or in part prior to a student’s high school enrollment.
  • Models for developing option 2 activities or programs include interdisciplinary or theme-based programs, independent study, co-curricular or extra-curricular activities, magnet programs, student exchange programs, distance learning opportunities, internships, community service, or other structured learning experiences. Activities and programs developed in accordance with Option 2 shall include appropriate assessments and see that student achievements meet or exceed the Core Curriculum Content Standards. The principal shall certify completion of curricular activities or programs based upon specified instructional objectives aimed at meeting or exceeding the Core Curriculum Content Standards.
  • The Board of Education shall award credit for successful completion of an approved, accredited college course that assures achievement of knowledge and skills that meets or exceeds the Core Curriculum Content Standards. See the "College Course Work for High School Credit" in the HCRHS Program of Study booklet for more detailed information.
  • In addition to the course and credit requirements outlined above, all students must pass the New Jersey High School Proficiency Assessment and comply with the district’s attendance policy.
  • Any student who has not met the above listed requirements will not be permitted to graduate and may not participate in the graduation ceremony. In addition, students who have failed to complete disciplinary requirements or have outstanding obligations will not be permitted to participate in the graduation ceremony.
  • Students should also be aware that a failure or loss of credit in a required class may affect their ability to graduate on time. Due to the increase in class sizes, students who fail or receive a loss of credit in required courses will not automatically be scheduled to repeat the course during the same school year. Senior students must be particularly cognizant of this as it could affect their ability to graduate in June.

Home Instruction

Doctors may request that a student be placed on home instruction for medical reasons. The request must be made in writing and submitted to the school nurse. All requests from doctors for home instruction are reviewed by Hunterdon Central’s School Medical Examiner, who will approve or deny the request. Parents must also submit a note to the school nurse requesting home instruction. The nurse notifies the counseling services secretary to begin home instruction. The secretary will mail an information packet to the parents and will find teachers to provide instruction. Teachers will contact parents directly to arrange a time for instruction with tutor. An adult must be present at all times during home instruction.

Honor Rolls

Honor Roll - Students who receive an 83 or better in all subjects at the end of a quarter will qualify for the Honor Roll. An incomplete in any subject or a withdrawal passing (WP), a withdrawal failing (WF), or withdrawal (W) disqualifies a student from the Honor Roll. The Honor Roll is published and posted at the end of each quarter. Principal’s Honor Roll - Students who receive a 93 or better in all subjects at the end of a quarter will qualify for the Principal’s Honor Roll. An incomplete in any subject or a withdrawal passing (WP), a withdrawal failing (WF), or withdrawal (W) disqualifies a student from the Principal’s Honor Roll. The Principal’s Honor Roll is published and posted at the end of each quarter.

 Incomplete Work

1.  A grade of Incomplete (I) will be given only when there is just cause, e.g., work missing due to extended absence or illness.  Otherwise, students are expected to submit work on time. While it is     permissible to accept work that is late, students with short term absences are expected to speak with their teacher to establish an appropriate time frame for completing missed work.

2.  Unless there are extenuating circumstances, students with extended absences are expected to resolve incompletes no later than 10 days from the end of the Quarter. Unresolved “I’s” will be automatically turned into a grade of “F” after the 10 day period. If an extension is sought, a request must go through the subject supervisor.

3.  Students must be informed by the last day of the marking period if they will receive an incomplete. At that time, students will be made aware of the ten-day requirement.

4.  Faculty members are discouraged from giving a grade of incomplete at mid-year for seniors. Incomplete grades can work to the student’s detriment when applying for college admissions.

Interim Reports

 Access to student progress is available 24/7 on Aspen. Students and parents can utilize their assigned log-in information to view student progress throughout the school year. Ample course grade information should be reported by the mid-point of each quarter for parents/students to assess the status of a students’ progress.

National Honor Society

The aims of the HCRHS National Honor Society are to create an enthusiasm for scholarship, to stimulate a desire to render service, to promote leadership, and to encourage character development. Service in the Honor Society includes giving time, effort and talent, not for personal gain, but for the class, school and community; willingness to do committee work; showing courtesy to teachers, students, and staff; and representing the school in various types of competition. The National Honor Society is a select group of students who are chosen during their junior year to be members because of outstanding qualities of scholarship, leadership, service and character. Information regarding the philosophy, purpose, selection, and membership in the Hunterdon Central Chapter of the National Honor Society is available upon request from the advisor. Confidentiality will be maintained at all times; however, students will be given reasons for their failure to pass the final selection. Appeals can be made to the faculty committee and to the principal. It is to be understood that all records relating to behavior and observance of school and community rules, regulations and laws will be examined. All information submitted by the student is expected to be truthful.

Outside Course Work - Transcript Interpretation & Infusion

Transfer students new to HCRHS, and current students with proof of completion of approved coursework taken outside of HCRHS, will have the courses, grades, and credits from said school infused into their HCRHS permanent record. This infusion will be accomplished by the HCRHS school counselor subject to the Supervisor of Counseling Services and/or Curriculum Committee’s approval. The Supervisor of Counseling Services will verify when the translation is difficult. If course work is from a transfer school, or from an approved and accredited outside institution, the information provided for input into student’s HCRHS course history must be from the school’s official transcript. A notation as to where the previous course work was completed, and/or as to the situation the coursework was taken (e.g. Independent Study, Distance Learning), will become a part of the HCRHS official transcript.

For a transfer course to be given the full 5 credits, it must have met for a minimum of 120 hours for the school year. One credit will be awarded for every 24 to 35 hours of course work depending upon the period length utilized by the school. One credit will be awarded for every 24 hours of course work if the previous school utilized the minimum 40-minute period system.

The maximum number of hours spent on course work to receive one credit is 35 if the previous school used up to one-hour periods. A student whose previous course work totaled 36 to 47 hours would be eligible for 1.5 credits and so forth. Counseling Services will award HCRHS credit for previous course work only when the previous school’s official transcript indicates achievement of said credit. Course grade and credit will be translated from the previous system into the HCRHS system.

Credit example: If the previous school awarded 1.00 credit for passing a "full year" course meeting every day for the entire year, HCRHS will convert 1.00 credit to 5.00 credits. Partial credit for "full year" courses will not be awarded unless the previous school awarded such credit and HCRHS could not provide continuation of program.

Grade example: If a student transferred to HCRHS with a "D", we would record the "D" on the transcript and award it the HCRHS GPA equivalent of 1.0 as it is the minimum for "passing" in both systems. If a student transferred from a school with a numeric grade of "80", and their system was a typical numeric system where 80 was a low "B", we would translate that 80 to a "B-" for transcript recording purposes. That "B-" would receive a 2.7 HCRHS GPA equivalent.

All students who are enrolled at HCRHS by the first day of their fourth or senior year shall have their grade point average calculated. Transfer students who enter after the first day of their senior year will not "bump" a HCRHS student with a lower GPA from consideration for scholarship opportunities (e.g. Bloustein Scholars).

With regard to transfer students, HCRHS shall consider as weighted only those courses taken at other schools when the corresponding HCRHS course is weighted. Coursework completed by current students, who have pursued non-traditional options outside the parameters of HCRHS, will be NON – weighted unless specifically pre-approved by the Principal’s Credit Committee.

High school level courses, taken prior to grade 9, may be used to meet prerequisites or advancement in a particular subject area. However, because graduation credit requirements may only be met by courses taken in grades 9-12, high school level courses taken prior to grade 9 are not included in GPA or credits earned, nor are they listed on the high school transcript. Grade 9 begins upon graduation from grade 8.

Public Complaints and Inquiries

Only in those cases where satisfactory adjustment cannot be made by the superintendent and the staff shall communications and complaints be referred to the Board of Education for resolution.

Religious Beliefs and Customs

The board directs that no religious belief or non-belief shall be promoted in the regular curriculum or in district-sponsored courses, programs or activities, and none shall be disparaged. The instructional program of the school, however, should inform pupils of the many beliefs and customs stemming from religious, racial, ethnic and cultural heritages, in order to broaden the pupils' understanding of and tolerance for the multiple ways of life enjoyed by the peoples of the world.

Pupil-initiated expressions to questions or assignments which reflect their beliefs or non-beliefs about a religious theme shall be accommodated.

Any instruction in the school which may be contrary to a pupil's religious beliefs and teachings shall be viewed as optional for the pupil.

Report Cards

Access to student progress is available 24/7 on Aspen. Students and parents can utilize their assigned log-in information to view student progress throughout the school year.

If parents have questions about a student’s grade, they may contact the teacher at the appropriate voice mail extension listed on the HCRHS website.

Recording of Non-Traditional Coursework on the HCRHS Permanent Record (Transcript):

The transcript will denote:

  1. Name of course;
  2. Institution, school, college, university and/or situation, where, and/or how, the coursework was taken;
  3. Grade issued by the institution (HCRHS equivalent); or grade issued by certified staff member under the guidelines established by the Curriculum Committee when course work was approved. Credit issued by institution (at a maximum rate of 35 hours per credit); or credit awarded by certified staff member under the guidelines established by the Curriculum Committee when course work was approved; or as certified by the principal under 6A:8-5.1(a) 1.ii.
  4. Transfer coursework will count towards WGPA or GPA. Outside course work may count towards WGPA or GPA as pre-approved by the Principal’s Credit Committee.


The annual HCRHS Program of Studies can be found on Hunterdon Central’s website, here. Students should discuss their course selections with their counselor and with their parents, to make sure the courses they choose best meet their needs. Enrollment in some classes may be limited due to room space or staff availability. Students will be placed on a waiting list for these courses, and counselors will notify students as space becomes available in them. Students should select carefully, because changes will not be made unless there are errors or omissions. Increase of rigor will be considered if seat space is available.

Due to the increase in class sizes, students who fail or receive a loss of credit in required courses will not automatically be scheduled to repeat the course during the same school year. Senior students must be particularly cognizant of this as it could affect their ability to graduate in June.

School-Based Youth Services

The School-Based Youth Services Program provides a comprehensive set of services to students including counseling, recreational and drop-in programs, employment and career counseling, and referral and linkages to community services on an appointment-only basis. Students may request an appointment, and services are confidential. However, after the initial contact, a signed consent form from a parent is needed if services are to be ongoing. If there are problems in school, School-Based staff will work with students and school personnel to help resolve these problems.

The School-Based Program’s offices are located in the grade-level counseling services areas. Students must call 284-7117 to set up an appointment. Since the program is administered out of the Hunterdon Medical Center, it is available year-round and operates when school is closed. If a student wishes to be seen at the Hunterdon Medical Center, he or she may contact a counselor by calling 788-6401.

Special Education/Child Study Team

Special education services are provided for those students who are determined eligible for classification under the Individual with Disabilities Education Act (IDEA). Services include, but are not limited to, self-contained classes, resource center classes, in-class support, and in-class assistance provided by Instructional Aides. Specialized programs are available for students who require a more therapeutic environment, as well as for students with multiple disabilities. Appropriate programs and services are reviewed annually in the IEP meeting facilitated by a Child Study Team Case Manager. The Child Study Team (CST) staff includes: psychologists, social workers, and a learning consultants. CST services are available for evaluative purposes to determine if students are eligible for special education and related services through a referral process.

Student Assistance Program

The Student Assistance Program addresses concerns about addictions. Prevention programs, early identification of high risk students, and intervention services are means of addressing alcohol and drug use as well as other addictions and their related behaviors. The counselors provide confidential counseling and help students and their families find appropriate rehabilitation and treatment facilities when required. Referrals can be made by the students themselves, staff, parents or other concerned individuals and should be directed to one of the student assistance counselors, whose names and numbers appear in the General Information section of this handbook.

Student Records

The Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act of 1974 (FERPA) is a federal law regarding the privacy of student records and the obligations of the institution, primarily in the areas of release of the records and the access provided to these records. The New Jersey Department of Education regulations (N.J.A.C. 6:3-6.1 and N.J.S.A. 18A:36-1a and 25-1 et seq.) have incorporated the requirements of FERPA. FERPA generally protects privacy rights with respect to "education records." "Education records" are records that contain information directly related to a student and that are maintained by an educational agency or institution or by a party acting for the agency or institution. 34 CFR § 99.3 "Education records." The rights afforded under FERPA rest with a student's parents until the student reaches the age of 18 or attends an institution of postsecondary education. 34 CFR §§ 99.3 "Eligible student" and 99.5(a). Generally, in order to disclose information from student education records, a parent or eligible student must provide his or her prior written consent. FERPA’s consent provisions require a specification of 1) the records that may be disclosed; 2) the purpose of the disclosure; and 3) the identity of the party or class of parties to whom the records may be disclosed. 34 CFR § 99.30. According to FERPA, personally identifiable information in an education record may not be released without prior written consent from the student unless the district has been instructed by law or court to do otherwise. However, FERPA has specifically identified certain information called directory information that may be disclosed without student consent. According to FERPA, a student can request that the institution not release directory information about him/her. Institutions must comply with this request, once received, if the student is still enrolled. Upon graduation or permanent departure of pupil from the district, the parent or adult pupil is hereby notified that a copy of the entire record is available upon request. Once information is no longer necessary to provide educational services to the pupil, that information will be destroyed, unless a request is received by July 15th of the year of departure. A permanent transcript and attendance record will be kept in perpetuity. A copy of the student record policy in its entirety is available upon request.

In accordance with NJAC 6:3-6.8 (Retention and Destruction of Pupil Records) the following policy is used for Child Study Team records: upon graduation or permanent departure of a pupil from Hunterdon Central Regional High School, the parent or adult pupil shall be notified in writing within 30 days by the Special Services Office that a copy of the pupil’s Child Study Team file will be provided to them upon written request. If not requested, HCRHS will keep a copy of the most recent evaluations, determination and IEP for 5 years from the date of graduation or permanent departure. After that time the CST records will be destroyed.

Transfer/Withdrawal Procedures

Any student wishing to sign out or transfer from Hunterdon Central must follow the sign-out procedure. Students/families should contact their counselor and/or the counseling services department to complete the required forms.Failure to follow the procedure will cause delays in records being sent to other schools, employers, etc.